Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
Delicious Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
- Total Time: 6 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- 2 to 2-1/2 lb bone-in chicken breast
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 chile peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Crisco Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 bag (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- dash Cayenne Pepper
8 whole grain hamburger buns
- Remove skin from chicken. Place chicken in greased 4 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Combine apple butter, chicken broth, chiles and garlic in a medium bowl. Mix well; pour over chicken. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH. Meat should be very tender. Pull apart using 2 forks and discard bone.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seed and onion; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add apples and cook 1 minute. Add coleslaw and cook 2 to 3 minutes until cabbage is still crisp but looking slightly wilted. Add vinegar and cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Spoon pulled chicken on sliced bun; top with slaw.