Homemade Cheese Crackers
Delicious homemade cheese crackers.
- Total Time: 9 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Yield: 100 small crackers
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 tsp Onion Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 cup (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), chopped, OR sun flower seed kernals
- Mix flour, onion salt and chili powder in a mixer bowl. Add butter and cheese and mix with an electric mixer until it forms a ball. Add pepitas; kneading on lightly floured counter if necessary to form a ball.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into an 8-inch log; refrigerate a minimum of 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Slice dough into generous 1/8-inch slices and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until brown on bottoms. Remove from baking sheet immediately; cool on wire racks. Crackers will crisp as they cool.
Dough may be made ahead and frozen, if desired.