- 8 cups water
- 3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 4 large chunks
- 3 lbs short ribs (bone in), or back ribs bone in
- 1 yellow onion, dry skins removed, cut in half crosswise
- 1 garlic bulb, cut the narrow top off, no need to peel
- 1 carrot, cut in half crosswise, then cut in half (4 large pieces of carrot)
- 5 Spice Islands Bay Leaves
- 8 guajillo chiles, stems cut off and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Ground Chipotle Chile
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands Cumin Powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 2 cups Oaxaca cheese
- In a large stock pot, add the meat, onion, garlic, carrot, bay leaves, and dried peppers.
- Add in the chicken bouillon and dried spices. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- After 30 minutes, skim the top of the pot to remove the foam.
- After 45 minutes, remove the peppers and blend with 1/4 cup of the broth. Strain to remove any extra skin and seeds, then add back to the large pot.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Skim the grease from the top, but reserve for later (to cook tortillas in).
- Remove the onion, garlic, carrot, and bay leaves from the broth.
- Remove the meat and chop into small pieces or shred, remove all bones.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the corn tortilla into the reserved grease from the broth and place on heated skillet. Add the chopped meat and cheese.
- Fold the taco over and press down with a spatula. Continue cooking until the taco is crisp and golden on the bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Then flip and continue cooking the other side. Cook until both sides are crisp.
- Serve with a bowl of the broth topped with onions and cilantro on the side.
- Dip the tacos into the broth while eating.