Created by @onesarcasticbaker Tender, and light hazelnut cake sprinkled with nutmeg and orange zest.
Syrup and Toppings
- 1/2 Cup Light brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Whole roasted hazelnuts
- 2/3 Cup Roasted hazelnuts
- 3 Tablespoons Potato starch
- 1/2 Cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl® Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Clabber Girl® Baking Soda
- 3/4-1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Orange Peel
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup (- 2 tablespoons) Full fat sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a medium sauce pan, pour the honey, add the light brown sugar, butter pieces, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Line an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper, pour the syrup into the pan then evenly spread the hazelnuts over. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 335F
- Using a food processor, process the hazelnuts and potato starch until finely ground.
- Move the ground hazelnuts into a medium bowl, then mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and orange zest, set aside
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and honey on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Increase speed to medium-high and add the vanilla extract followed by the eggs, one at a time waiting for the first egg to fully incorporate before adding the second. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Reduce speed to low, and add the hazelnuts-flour mixture in three additions altering with the sour cream starting and end ending with the dry mixture. Add the last portion of the flour mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the cake batter into the prepared pan over the syrup and hazelnuts, then use an offset spatula to evenly spread it.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean at the center of the cake.
- Remove, allow to cool for 2-3 minutes then invert the cake onto your serving plate, or an 8-inch cake board.
- Make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer.
- The cake is also great when baked “naked” meaning without the syrup or extra hazelnuts. You may need to reduce the baking time to 25 minutes.
- If you do not have potato starch do not replace it with cornstarch. Increase the amount of flour to 3/4 cup instead