- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Spice Islands Italian Herb Seasoning
- Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Put the bowl in a warm place until the yeast is bubbling – about 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, 1/2 cup olive oil and the yeast mixture. Mix by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Once the dough has come together, knead by hand until it becomes smooth and soft.
- Coat the inside of a bowl lightly with olive oil and put the dough into the bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Coat a sheet pan or cake pan with the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Put the dough onto the pan and begin pressing it out to fit the size of the pan. Turn the dough over to coat the other side with the olive oil. Continue to stretch the dough to fit the pan. As you are doing so, spread your fingers out and make finger holes all the way through the dough.
- Put the dough in a warm place until it has doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Liberally sprinkle the top of the focaccia with some coarse salt and lightly drizzle a little oil on top. Finish with Spice Islands Italian Herb Seasoning.
- Bake the dough until the top of the loaf is golden brown – about 25 to 30 minutes.